Custom Rambling Rose Engine & Ornamental Lathe
Have Rose Engine, will travel
Roland Hege and I demonstrated our Rose Engines this year for several groups and decided we wanted a Rose Engine that would be mobile enough to easily move around for Rose Engine demonstrations yet stiff enough to produce good work. After much brainstorming we developed the following design criteria for our Rambling Rose Engine. We fabricated and constructed it late in June and early July 2008. We plan to publish the plans for non commercial personal use.
Rambling Rose Engine Design Criteria:
- Weight - Mobile weight less than 50 pounds including chuck, tool post and cutting frame. (It will fit in a 32"L x19"W x13"H box)
- Spider - integral fine axial and radial adjusting spider for the chuck with 1" x 8 threads per inch, MT-2 taper & draw bar
- X-Z Compound - integral X-Z axis compound w/ 0.001" calibrated indexable dials. Positive adjustable stops for ornamental work. We plan to incorporate rotation of the X-Z compound to allow cuts along a taper.
- Rubber - front and rear rubber positions
- Speed - 9 to 1 cranking ratio for slow speed control.
- Phase - Ability to phase the rosette cams to the spindle (work piece) to 1/3, 1/4 or 1/8 cam lobe phases. Soon - very fine, repeatable phase adjustment between the rosette cam and the spindle (work piece).
- Multiple cams - change cams quickly and easily and utilize up to 3 rosette cams at one time with independent indexing or phasing to each other and the work piece
- Vibration - Rose Engine rocking motion with headstock and tool post vibration dampening
- Capacity - Work capacity 10" diameter and 7.5" length.
- Tool post - can be repositioned in 3.5" radius from any X-Z position and raised 1" or lowered 0.5 from spindle center. 5/8" round and 9/16" square tool holding capacity.
- Ornamental - Can lock spindle with vernier holes in 1 degree or 360 positions for ornamental decoration work. Soon - very fine repeatable adjustment between the index wheel and the spindle (work piece).
- Threading - We plan to incorporate internal and external thread cutting capacity w/ standard 10 tpi w/ others optional.
Enjoy......Fred Connell & Roland Hege